A window shutter is a solid and stable window covering consisting of a frame of vertical stiles and horizontal rails. Set within this frame can be louvers, solid panels, fabric, glass and almost any other item that can be mounted within a frame. Shutters are an attractive window covering alternative. As well as providing a window covering they also provide privacy, some insulation and in some cases, depending on what blinds you have, security.
Shutters can be made of wood, aluminum or vinyl and can be fixed to your home in a number of different ways. They can be used on the inside or outside of your home. The choice is yours.
Some of the advantages of window shutters are:
• Protection against unwanted guests i.e. intruders
• Protection from storms
• Don’t need curtains or blinds anymore (good for allergy sufferers)
• Allow fresh air and light in
• They insulate against heat/cold and noise
When you choose shutters for your home you will need to decide what the reason is for having shutters and what type would best suit your needs. Do you want them for allergy reasons, security, looks etc?
There are several types of shutters on the market these days. You can get hinged with joinery, hinged without joinery, bi-folding, sliding, fixed and roller.
In the beginning, exterior shutters were constructed for light control, privacy, and protection from the elements. An exterior hurricane shutter or storm shutter can be used to protect doors and windows from strong winds, rain, and flying objects
The window coverings of a house can make or break the look. So choose carefully when deciding what way to go with window coverings. Make informed decisions.
Exterior shutters have evolved into a standard feature on most American homes. If you are remodeling or renovating your house you may want to look at putting exterior shutters on the outside of your house. Exterior shutters are sure to flatter just about any home. Not only are they low maintenance and stylish, they will flatter your windows and bring life to your house. There are so many styles to choose from that you are sure to find a style that suits your tastes.
You need to make sure you purchase quality shutters and at great prices. To do this you need to do your research or your homework. So, what style shutters should you put on your house? Here are a couple of suggestions to consider.
If you are looking for a traditional style shutter then you may be looking for something like the concord louvered style shutter. These shutters will give a traditional and cozy appearance to your house. Maybe you are looking for a shutter that will give your house a colonial style. If so then maybe you might want to look at raised panel shutters with a Keystone header.
Whatever style or type of exterior shutter you go for, make sure it suits your needs and purpose. No point getting ugly shutters because they are better for keeping people out it that’s not what you want them for.
One type of exterior shutter is the hurricane shutters. You would use these if you lived in an area that is prone to storms and hurricanes. You will be able to sleep at night knowing that if a storm was to hit, your windows and doors are safe and out of harm’s way.
Whatever your reason for wanting shutters, if you choose the right ones they will add to your house.
Hurricane shutters are one of the most important protection devices you can buy for your house if you live in a storm and hurricane-prone area. They are external shutters. They remain one of the most economical solutions for any homeowner to protect you and your home from storms.
There are a few different types of hurricane shutters available on the market and it can be quite confusing to choose what is best for you. Let’s look at some of the different types of hurricane shutters:
• Storm panel– these are steel or aluminum shutters that are attached to the outside wall or door by bolts or tracks. Storm panels are normally corrugated and overlapped as this given the maximum strength possible. The biggest problem with storm panels is that homeowners don’t check them often enough and find out too late (i.e. after a storm) that something was wrong with them. Some advantages of this type are that they are inexpensive, removable and strong. Disadvantages are that they have sharp edges, can be difficult to hang up and require storage.
• Accordion– these are one or two piece shutters that are kept beside the window or door and are unfolded to cover the window or door when a storm is about to hit. Some advantages of accordion shutters are they don’t require extra storage, can be unfolded by one person and can be locked with a key to keep unwanted guests out. Their disadvantages are they can look bulky and have the potential to break easier as they are on wheels.
• Colonial– these are louvered shutters that are attached to the wall beside each side of the window. They fold into the middle to protect the window. Advantages are they don’t require extra storage space, look good and can be made storm-ready by one person. Disadvantages are they can’t be used protect doors.
• Bahama- these are one piece louvered shutters that are attached above the window and when opened provide shade for the window. Advantages are that they don’t require extra storage, they are easily made storm-ready by one person and provide permanent shade and privacy. Disadvantages are they are thought to be weaker than other shutters, block too much light for some people and they can’t be used to protect doors.
• Roll-down– these are shutters that are attached above the window and roll up into an enclosed box above the window. They are lowered by a hand crank or a button. Advantages are they don’t require extra storage space, can easily be made storm-ready by one person, offer great storm protects and excellent theft deterrent. Disadvantages are they are more expensive than the other types.
Make sure you do your research and make an informed decision when making your choice on what hurricane shutters to go with.
Are you thinking about buying roller shutters? They can serve many different purposes but the main purpose people buy them for is security. This type of shutter is often used by shop owners to protect their shop from break-ins. It is an external shutter.
Roller shutters are fitted over a window or door and the shutter rolls into a box that is above the window. These are fairly easy to install and can add to the appearance of your home. They are also good for keeping the heat/cold in or out depending on the time of year.
There are two types of roller shutters. They are the automatic and the manual type. The automatic type (motorized) is normally chosen for large shutters and for buildings with high windows. For most residential purposes an automatic type of shutter is used for a garage. The manual type is often used for smaller windows especially the windows in a residential house. This type comes with a crank handle which is used to wind the shutter up and down.
These shutters are thought to be more expensive than many other types of shutters but most people see this cost as something they are willing to pay considering the extra benefits they give. They block out light really well which is great for those days when you want to sleep in but normally have the sun shining in your room. This would make them great for shift workers who find it hard to sleep because of the light (also blocks out some noise for them too).
Subscribe To Receive Latest & New Update In Your Inbox First